In the Big Book of AA members talk of practical attitudes that help in recovery from alcoholism. Some of these are;
- “…thoroughly followed our path.” p.58 line 2. Referring to the ‘Suggested Program of Recovery’.
- “…completely give themselves to this program…” p.58 line 3.
- “…developing…rigorous honesty.” p.58 line 9 – instead of denial and lying.
- “…willing to go to any length…” p.58 line 18. A very pragmatic strategy.
- “…fearless and thorough…” p.58 line 23. With courage.
- “…let go absolutely.” p.58 line 25. With faith in the fact that millions of people have already done just that.
- “…asked His protection and care with complete abandon.” p.59 line 5. Some sort of Higher Power – not necessary religious.
- “…the steps we took…” p.59 line 7. The 12-Steps.
- “…Do not be discouraged.” p.60 line 7. ‘No one amongst us has been able to maintain anything like perfect adherence to these principles.’
- “…willing to grow along spiritual lines.” p.60 line 10.
Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd. Edition.