Service to Others in Sobriety
This twelth step work activity list was developed by talking to Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous members for a research project. They seem to apply to all 12 Step Fellowships.
- Took calls or spent time with a sponsee
- Guided an alcoholic/addict through the 12-Steps
- Held a service position in a 12-Step program
- (Within meetings; coffee maker, door greeter, chairperson, secretary, treasurer)
- (Outside of meetings: service delegate, public outreach organizer (i.e. jails, etc.), literature delegate).
- Say something positive to an alcoholic/addict
- Listened to an alcoholic/addict for at least 10 minutes at meetings, on the phone or face-to-face
- Say hello to a newcomer
- Reached out to an alcoholic/addict having a hard time
- Shared personal story with an alcoholic/addict
- Read program literature to an alcoholic/addict
- Encourage or help an alcoholic/addict to go to a meeting
- Donated money to AA/NA
- Put away chairs after a meeting