Twelve Step fellowships such as Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, Al-anon, Cocaine Anonymous and others don’t just address the substance or overt behaviour. In progressing through the 12 Steps other benefits will be realized. These are know as the rewards of recovery. One example is;
THE TWELVE REWARDS OF SOBRIETY
By Searcy W., 55 years sober as at 2001 aged 90.
- Faith instead of despair.
- Courage instead of fear.
- Hope instead of desperation.
- Peace of mind instead of confusion.
- Real friendships instead of loneliness.
- Self-respect instead of self-contempt.
- Self-confidence instead of helplessness.
- A clean conscious instead of a sense of guilt.
- The respect of others instead of their pity and contempt.
- A clean pattern of living instead of a hopeless existence.
- The love and understanding of our families instead of their doubts and fears.
- The freedom of a happy life instead of the bondage of an alcoholic obsession.