Recovery gives many benefits such as those related in the 12 promises of recovery. Each and every member of any 12 Step Fellowship has things they value.
One day I began to think about what I liked about recovery. I excluded the 12 Steps, Traditions and Promises and came up with a simply worded list.
This was my list on that day.
12 Things I like about recovery
- No more domestic violence
- No fear of the police
- Economic stability
- Better libido and sexual enjoyment
- A Higher Power that helps me in all of life
- Better relationships with family
- Wake up without a hangover – every day
- A Fellowship that is my second family
- Clear, rational thinking
- No deep, crippling depression
- No chronic, hurtful anger or resentments
- I can laugh at myself.
That was couple of months ago and as you can see, it was not specific to that day. But those were ‘general’ things that I liked about recovery.
So I began to make a specific list just for today.
12 Things I liked about my recovery today;
- Had a great 3 hour phone conversation with my son
- Told my 30 year old son I loved him and he reciprocated
- I had a good conversation with a neighbor
- I laughed at myself
- When I was driving, I didn’t look in the mirror for the police
- When I went to the supermarket I complimented the checkout women on their service and made a joke about my favorite chocolate being on special (I got extra)
- I wrote this list
- Published 8 articles to my websites
- Read part of a book
- Cooked myself a good, healthy meal
- Thanked my Higher Power for this day of sobriety
Fellow members suggested I keep it simple right from the start of my sobriety. That’s what I aim for. My day was simply simple.
What are your 12 Things you like about your recovery today? Feel free to share them with others in the comments section.