What are physical or medical problems associated with Computer Addiction?
Being addicted to the computer also can cause physical discomfort or medical problems such as:
- Carpal Tunnel syndrome (pain, numbness, and burning in your hands that can radiate up the wrists, elbows, and shoulders)
- Dry eyes
- Severe headaches
- Eating irregularities, such as skipping meals
- Failure to attend to personal hygiene
- Sleep disturbances
Who is most at risk for Internet addiction?
According to the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery, Internet addiction affects people of varying ages, cultural backgrounds, occupations, and educational levels. The following problems are likely triggers for internet addiction:
Triggers for Internet Addiction
- Substance Abuse
Over half of Internet addicts suffer from other addictions, mainly to drugs, alcohol, smoking, and sex.
- Trends show that Internet addicts suffer from emotional problems such as depression and anxiety-related disorders and often use the fantasy world of the Internet to psychologically escape unpleasant feelings or stressful situations.
- In almost 75% of cases, Internet addicts use applications such as chat rooms, instant messaging, or online gaming as a safe way of establishing new relationships and more confidently relating to others.