What is economic or financial abuse of a spouse or domestic partner?
Economic or financial abuse includes:
- Withholding economic resources such as money or credit cards.
- Stealing from or defrauding a partner of money or assets.
- Exploiting the intimate partner’s resources for personal gain.
- Withholding physical resources such as food, clothes, necessary medications, or shelter.
- Preventing the spouse or intimate partner from working or choosing an occupation.
These symptoms may occur in alcoholic or addictive relationships as co-dependency grows.