Rays of hope from Recovery Summit
A Recovery Summit under the auspices of the US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) convened and its report has now been released.
These principles of recovery can be applied to 12 Step Fellowships, (alcoholism, addiction, co-dependency, ACOA, mental illness) and any group or 1-on-1 therapy that includes some form of self-help / mutual-help.
These were called “Guiding Principles” of recovery.
The principles of recovery are;
- There are many pathways to recovery.
- Recovery is self-directed and empowering.
- Recovery involves a personal recognition of the need for change and transformation.
- Recovery is holistic.
- Recovery has cultural dimensions.
- Recovery exists on a process of improved health and wellness.
- Recovery emerges from hope and gratitude.
- Recovery involves a process of healing and self-redefinition.
- Recovery involves addressing discrimination and transcending shame and stigma.
- Recovery is supported by peers and allies.
- Recovery involves (re)joining and (re)building a life in the community.
- Recovery is a reality. It can, will, and does happen.
Full story at; New Recovery