HIV Anonymous is a fellowship of persons who have found that living with a potentially terminal illness is a major challenge. We are individuals who meet regularly as a group, assisting one another in this new way of life.
We have no outside affiliations. Our past is kept in confidence within the group. We don’t thrive on our past, but concentrate on what we want for today and our future.
For many of us, the realization of our present condition left us feeling dejected and depressed. We could no longer live life to its fullest. We became disoriented, and our peace of mind was displaced by uncontrollable emotions.
We have learned from our group experience that those who come to our meetings on a regular basis, and work the program with diligence, are those who experience spiritual transformation.
The 12 Steps of HIV Anonymous
- We admit we are powerless over the fact that we acquired HIV–that our lives have the potential to become unmanageable.
- We believe that a power greater than ourselves exists and may offer direction in our lives.
- We make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care and direction of our Higher Power.
- We make a searching and honest inventory of ourselves.
- We admit to ourselves, to our Higher Power, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. We set out plans to secure our future.
- We become willing to work in partnership with our Higher Power to remove our ineffective behavior.
- We humbly ask our Higher Power to exonerate us.
- We make a list of all persons directly associated with our lives and become willing to deal with them according to spiritual precepts.
- We take steps toward reconciliation whenever possible, except when to do so would injure others or ourselves.
- We continue to take personal inventory and when we were wrong, promptly admitted it.
- We seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with our Higher Power, praying for the knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
- Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these Steps, we prepare ourselves through faith. We will try to carry this message to others and demonstrate these principles in all areas of our lives.