Know when it’s time to fire your doctor
CNN reports on what to do when your doctor is not paying attention.
Dr. Jerome Groopman knew he needed to break up with his family doctor. But he didn’t know if he should or how to go about it.
Groopman is not alone. “I really think it’s a fear of the unknown,” says Robin DiMatteo, a researcher at the University of California at Riverside who’s studied doctor-patient communication. “But if the doctor isn’t supporting your healing or health, you should go.”
- When your doctor doesn’t like it when you ask questions
- When your doctor doesn’t listen to you
- If your doctor can’t explain your illness to you in terms you understand
- If you feel bad when you leave your doctor’s office
- If you feel your doctor just doesn’t like you — or if you don’t like him or her
These guides are particularly important for recovery from alcoholism/addiction. Some doctors do not know enough about this disease.
Full details and story at CNN; Know when it’s time to fire your doctor