Clues about alcohol related brain damage can be gathered by observing the person’s mood, behaviour, daily functioning and coping skills.
Here are some examples of common indicators:
- Mood changes – anxiety, agitation or depression
- Behavioural changes – difficult behaviour, acting out, suspicious or paranoid behaviour, withdrawal, inappropriate behaviour
- Confusion and disorientation
- Talking excessively about, and living in, the past
- Problems carrying through with plans and getting around to chores
- Disconnection of gas, electricity or the phone
- Missed appointments
- Repetitious conversation
- Problems staying focused in conversation
- Resistance to change
- Irrational reasoning
- Inability to change even when the person desires to
These symptoms of brain impairment will help you identify who may require assessment for ARBI.
If you think you may have ARBI or know some who might contact your local healthcare center.