Improve your sexuality and you’re ready to meet someone new. So what do you do? For many people in recovery from co-dependency, addiction, alcoholism and gambling online dating has become an acceptable and popular alternative.
One of the advantages of online dating is it offers access to a large pool of people you can meet while staying comfortable in your own home. “It’s really convenient, And it opens you up to a wide-open world of potential matches.”
The New Singles’ Bar
According to Online Dating Magazine, 20% of Americans have gone out on a date with someone they met on line. And every year, more than 280,000 marry someone they met that way.
Finally, it’s not just for the young and tech savvy. Research shows it may be just as popular with older adults.
What to Know First
Online dating requires some courage and thoughtful planning. Use these tips to help navigate the realm of online dating. The reward at the end could very well be meeting that someone special you’ve been looking for.
Here are eleven tips for success and safety;
- Decide how much control you want.
- Check the costs. Some sites, like http://www.okcupid.com/home and www.plentyoffish.com , are free. But others might cost as much as $60 a month.
- Don’t ignore the smaller sites. Smaller niches with your interests are usually better because they don’t have quite as much of the ‘meat market’ feel. If you’re in a niche that focuses on common interests, you’re more likely to get people you can actually relate to.” http://www.12stepmatch.com/ and discussion at http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts13738179.aspx
- Create a compelling but honest profile.
- Avoid disclosing too much at once. Gradually reveal details as you get to know someone.
- Guard your privacy. Never give out personal information or send money.
- Expect some dishonesty. “Online dating is advertising, rather than making a connection. And advertising is full of falsehood and exaggeration.
- Be prepared to reject and be rejected. Don’t take a ‘No’ response from others personally.
- Narrow your focus.
- Google your potential dates. Don’t hesitate to search someone’s name on Google or social media such as Facebook or Twitter.
- Play it safe. Use your first name only and give personal details only after you’ve gotten to know each other well.
Did You Meet Someone Special?
If you find a keeper, you don’t have to hide how you met when you tell other people. As online dating has gotten more popular, it’s become more accepted.
There’s nothing wrong with online dating. It can make a cute story, when you’re finally in a great relationship.”
Full story is at 11 Insider Tips to Finding Love Online