Troubled social background of male steroid abusers
The aim of this study was to investigate the social background and current social situation of male abusers of anabolic-androgenic steroids (AAS).
We compared thirty-four AAS-abusing patients from an Addiction Centre with two groups, 18 users and 259 non-users of AAS from a public gym in Orebro, Sweden.
The study is based on semi-structured interviews and questionnaires.
Anabolic-androgenic steroid abusers displayed;
- histories of a troubled childhood
- current social disadvantage
- poor relationships with their parents
- physical or mental abuse.
- The anabolic-androgenic steroid group’s experiences from school were mostly negative, and included;
- concentration problems,
- boredom and
- learning difficulties.
Their current circumstance included;
- abuse of other drugs,
- battering of spouses and
- other criminality such as assault, illegal possession of weapons and theft.
In conclusion, this study shows that abusers of anabolic-androgenic steroids often have a troubled social background.
Research report; Kurt Skarberg & Ingemar Engstrom. Troubled social background of male anabolic-androgenic steroid abusers in treatment. Substance Abuse Treatment, Prevention, and Policy 2007, 2:20.