Keep in mind that I’m not discussing all difficult relationships; some challenging relationships are well worth keeping. I’m specifically discussing toxic relationships, which are characterized by the following.
- take heavily from us without giving anything back.
- sap our joy as well as our mental and emotional energy.
- represent people who are hateful, hurtful, critical and discouraging the vast majority of the time you are around them.
- constantly leave you feeling empty, guilty, incompetent and ashamed
- represent people who are verbally and emotionally abusive to you.
- bring out the absolute worst in you.