SMART Recovery® (Self-Management And Recovery Training)
SMART Recovery® is an international non-profit organization that offers free, self-empowering, science-based mutual help groups for abstaining from any substance or activity addiction. Donations are requested by passing a hat at meetings.
SMART Recovery® helps people recover from all types of addictive behaviors, including: alcoholism, drug abuse, substance abuse, drug addiction, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, and addiction to other substances and activities.
SMART Recovery® currently sponsors more than 500+ face-to-face meetings around the world, and 16+ online meetings per week. In addition, our online message board is an excellent forum to learn about SMART Recovery® and obtain addiction recovery support.
SMART Recovery® 4-Point Program
SMART Recovery® helps individuals gain independence from addictive behaviors (substances or activities). Our efforts are based on scientific knowledge on addiction recovery and evolve as scientific knowledge evolves.
The program offers tools and techniques for each program point:
- Point 1: Enhancing and Maintaining Motivation
- Point 2: Coping with Urges
- Point 3: Problem Solving
- Point 4: Lifestyle Balance
- Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- Works on addictions/compulsions as complex maladaptive behaviors with possible physiological factors.
- Teaches tools and techniques for self-directed change.
- Encourages individuals to recover and live satisfying lives.
- Meetings are educational and include open discussions.
- Advocates the appropriate use of prescribed medications and psychological treatments.
- Evolves as scientific knowledge evolves.
- Differs from Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and traditional 12-step programs.
SMART Recovery® & 12-Step Programs
While the SMART approach differs from AA and NA, it does not exclude them. Some SMART participants choose to attend AA or NA meetings when they cannot attend a SMART meeting. Some find that what they hear at AA or NA meetings helps them on their path to permanent recovery.
Go to; SMART Recovery®