Will power, will and higher power are terms discussed in 12-Step programs of recovery. I for one did not understand the differences between the various attitudes and actions I adopted. Then I came across something similar to the following and I was able to tell the difference between them – at least in theory.
I took such a list to my sponsor and have been discussing these ever since.
- Opposition to ‘other’ will (other being spiritual guidance, another person, parent, boss or what one ‘must’ do)
- Child will (As when a child defies its parental guidance)
- Willing what one ‘must’ do
- Disciplined will
- Parental will
- Willing what one ‘wants’ rather than what one needs
- Passionate will
- Spiritual will
- Higher Power will
- Non-spiritual will
- Not asking for a second opinion from another power (Higher Power, God)
- The ability to will
- The capacity to choose the most appropriate will to carry out
- The ability to action or carry out ones will
- Putting the chosen will into ones life
- The ability or capacity to have choice over will
All persons have will and willpower and the ability to seek the will of a Higher Will.